By K A Athanasiou; Eric M Darling; Jerry C Hu
Read Online or Download Articular cartilage tissue engineering PDF
Similar physiology books
Breathing Muscle education: concept and perform is the world's first ebook to supply an "everything-you-need-to-know" consultant to respiration muscle education (RMT). Authored by way of an internationally-acclaimed professional, it's an evidence-based source, outfitted upon present clinical wisdom, in addition to adventure on the state-of-the-art of breathing education in a variety of settings.
Creation to the Human physique, eighth version permits allied well-being pros to successfully and successfully grasp the necessities of anatomy and body structure in addition to comprehend the stability among homeostasis and disruptions to homeostasis. beneficial properties akin to on reflection to maneuver forward support refresh uncomplicated strategies and make connections from process to approach and proposal to notion.
Fresh growth in Hormone study, quantity 33 covers the lawsuits of the 1976 Laurentian Hormone convention. The booklet discusses the increasing importance of hypothalamic peptides; the LATS in Graves' ailment; and the ontogenesis of hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid functionality and metabolism in human, sheep, and rat.
This booklet presents a finished examine nonhuman primate social inequalities as versions for wellbeing and fitness variations linked to socioeconomic prestige in people. the good thing about the socially-housed monkey version is that it presents the complexity of hierarchical constitution and rank association, i. e. either unfavourable and features of social prestige.
- Auditory Signal Processing: Physiology, Psychoacoustics, and Models
- The Physiology of Growth
- Cartilage: Volume 1: Physiology and Development
- Exercise physiology: Nutrition, energy, and human performance
- Microbial Endocrinology: The Microbiota-Gut-Brain Axis in Health and Disease
- The Kidney Morphology, Biochemistry, Physiology
Additional info for Articular cartilage tissue engineering
5. MOTIVATION FOR TISSUE ENGINEERING 27 not yet progressed to OA) can be four times as much as treatment of the defect itself , and a similar scenario can be expected for OA. 5 MOTIVATION FOR TISSUE ENGINEERING Based on over 25,000 arthroscopies surveyed, it has been shown that osteochondral and chondral lesions are the most common, accounting for 67% of the observations, while OA accounts for 29% . As presented earlier, the cartilage’s inability to mount a sufficient healing response eventually results in degenerative changes, and the proportion of lesions to OA observed is expected to change in the near future due to the baby boomers, with concomitant rises in management and treatment costs.
More recently, a three-phase (collagen, matrix, and synovial fluid), transversely isotropic, unconfined half-space model of articular cartilage was created for studying surface fissures . The tensile stresses generated were within the range of reported tensile strength of collagen fibers, showing that failure of collagen could lead to surface fissuring. This was not the case for slowly applied loads. In another study , mediators of collagen damage due to mechanical injury were investigated in a fibril-reinforced poroviscoelastic model of articular cartilage.
Because of the viscoelastic nature of articular cartilage, load rate affects tissue stiffness and thus failure. The rates of applied stress, strain, and load must be considered. For example, using a confined compression loading protocol, the dynamic modulus has been shown to increase from 225 to 850 MPa as the load rate was increased from 25 to 1000 MPa/s . 3. 2 times body weight. For a 70 kg person, this would correspond to ∼1400 to 4900 N . Taking the medial tibial plateau to have an area of 1670 mm2 , this corresponds to a maximum stress of ∼3 MPa.